December 12, 2011

Catching up to reality

I haven't posted in awhile, so thought I'd do a general update. Typically, it's pretty boring when bloggers just talk about themselves in posts, but since I've had a lot of (awesome) recent changes and projects going on, I'm going to just barf them all out on the page for you so everything is up-to-date... I'll try to be quick!


My new office (prior to a couple more pieces of furniture)
First, and most important, as of the end of October I've started my new position as an Instructional Services Librarian for the University of Arizona! I left my job at the community college, and although it was a great experience and I met some nice people in Dallas, this is an amazing fit for me and I'm so happy to be at the UA. And this is a tenure-track position -- exciting!


After getting settled in Tucson, I've had a few other things going on:


One) My article with ALA Emerging Leaders teammate, Erik Bobilin, has been published in American Libraries Magazine. We are continuing to work on our plans for research in socially responsible selection of videogames, an expanded MARC record, and delving into the burgeoning area of critical theory and gaming. You can keep up more with that on our project site. **Update: Our proposal for ALA EL 2012 has been selected, so Erik, JP Porcaro, and I will be mentors for Team H! And we are lucky to have Jenny Levine as our ALA Staff Liaison! (Excited, obviously.)

Two) Staying on the topic of Emerging Leaders, an article I wrote with Justin Hoenke, one of Team G's mentors, will be appearing in the February 2012 issue of the LLAMA journal. We wrote it in September in the format of interviewing each other, reflecting on the Emerging Leaders experience, leadership skills, and how to be an effective teammate.

Three) I was a panelist on the SLIS Library 2.011 Virtual Conference panel, Riding the "Long Tail:" Leveraging a niche to build a network. Moderated by John Jackson and Young Lee, myself (Librarian Wardrobe) along with Micah Vandegrift (Hack Library School) and Daniel Ransom (Info Amateurs Social Club) discussed building grassroots professional networks within niches. We had some really interesting questions and conversation -- the recording is available at that link.

Four) For the North Texas Collective of Radical Reference, I've published an Alternative Guide to Dallas for ALA MW 2012. Radical Reference collectives have created guides for various cities, so this was put together for people looking for things to do that might not be in mainstream city guides -- especially vegans hoping for assistance on where to find edibles.

Five) Most recently, I have a guest post on Erin Dorney's Library Scenester blog talking about the concept of a "career compass" that I came up with as a panelist for the REFORMA's session on finding your first library job back at ALA Annual 2011.

Otherwise, I hope to meet many of you at ALA Midwinter in Dallas. Please say hi! I am a Co-chair for planning the ACRL Instruction Section Soiree, am organizing the Tweetup with John Jackson, and will also be helping with the UnconferenceAnd keep an eye out for both special edition posts on Librarian Wardrobe for packing interviews and conference photographers' profiles. 

Uf that wasn't quick at all!